The fight against the Bedroom Tax and benefit cuts is spreading to new areas, as rent arrears and eviction threats sharpen the pressure.
Manchester had a first victory last week, when protests outside Court headed off a Bedroom Tax eviction – see report and photo
Barnsley will be outside Court on Thur 20th when 700 people are summonsed for Council Tax arrears. They are asking other groups to come with banners – details here (scroll down the page)
In Birmingham 300 people marched on Saturday despite pouring rain, in memory of Stephanie Bottrill – see BBC and ITV Central News report
Campaigns and growing rent arrears are upping pressure on Councils and landlords. Tenants are demanding to address landlords at this year’s big Housing Conference 2013 and will join a big Bedroom Tax protest when Lord Freud and other ministers speak to the conference 27 June in Manchester details here
Councils oppose Bedroom Tax: 36 local authorities met at Manchester Town Hall 7 June and called on the Government to abolish the bedroom tax – see report. This is a welcome beginning – we will continue to campaign and call for councils and landlords to agree “No Evictions” due to benefit cuts, as at least 15 councils have so far, and fight to ensure no one loses their home.
The first steering group meeting of the Anti-Bedroom Tax and Benefit Justice Federation on 8 June (see broadcast here) heard reports from round the country and agreed the following:
- Produce more material including a guide on how to fight the bedroom tax
- Feed the website, twitter and facebook with reports and stories: email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Frequent press releases
- Try to co-ordinate a network of local and national politicians against the bedroom tax
- Start discussions about date for national demonstration
- Next steering group meeting – early September – venue tbc
- Saturday 22 June: Help leaflet and talk about benefit cuts at the People’s Assembly – London
- Thursday 27 June: Lord “Spare Mansion” Freud Protest – Manchester
- Saturday 27 July: National Day of Protests against the Bedroom Tax and Benefit Cuts – leaflet here
Keep in touch – let us know your plans for 27 July Protests – and if you have suggestions, want speakers or help.
for Anti Bedroom Tax and Benefit Justice Fed